How to get ideas
I continue to teach the younger generation, who would like to be future knowledge workers like scientists, inventors, etc.
Ideas can be invaluable if they are useful to society. So, we need to know how to be creative to obtain good ideas. Everyone has their own rituals. You should look at what other creative people do and try to find what works best for you. The important thing is to try every day.
Here is my daily activities to convert data into valuable information/insight/idea:
- Prepare your head by making it receptive to ideas. Put data into your brain. Read books, articles in your field, youtube’s algorithm sometimes brings gems (but don’t overwatch). Time to time, you should look at a completely different field, so this way some dots afar can be connected
- Do physical activities regularly. It sounds nonsensical but it seems that macromotorics (wrestling, boxing, danse, etc) and micromotorics (drawing, woodwork, etc) do something to the brain, and sometimes, we come up with insights.
- Meditation is a good practice to bring clarity to the mind.
- Draw schemas. Build models. Look for ways to discard the model.
- Learn how to articulate your thoughts. Try to write daily.
By following this routine, I came up with a couple of ideas which I hope are valuable to our civilization. But, it is hard to check their feasibility for the moment.
They say, we don’t have ideas, but ideas have us, they possess us. I am trying to come up with other ideas, which are easier to check for feasibility. But currently, the ideas that I have possess me. They won’t let me go, and neither will I. It would be ungrateful for the Universe to do so. Being appreciative, I am still working on them.
Having ideas is one thing but building a business out of ideas is a completely different thing. I don’t know anything about business. So, my suggestion is to find trustful and fair partners, who are experts in their field. Work with them with empathy because you don’t see what they see, and they don’t see what you see. Being experts in their field, they could propose to you what to do.